Sounds in Focus
A whole-school spelling and language programme from Year 1 to Year 6, and Primary 1 to Primary 7.
Use Sounds in Focus at each class level, to develop language proficiency by continually developing:
- spelling skills
- grammar concepts
- Sounds in Focus fosters an active, thinking approach to spelling. For each sound, the pupils are encouraged to ‘Explore the Sound’ by brainstorming and making lists of words that contain the sound. They then categorise and sort the words by the graphemes that are used. In this way, they begin to appreciate that a sound can be spelled in many different ways.
- Sounds in Focus develops much more than spelling. It builds vocabulary and also ensures that words are used in context. Grammar elements are built into each unit, ensuring that teachers can work on these essential areas of writing in a holistic way.
- Sounds in Focus is a whole-school spelling programme that uses the phonemic approach. This sound-to-letter strategy means that the sounds of English (phonemes) are systematically taught and consolidated each year, while pupils learn to identify the letters that represent these sounds (graphemes).
- The whole-school nature of the programme means that pupils are revising and building upon the same sounds each year. The programme ensures that pupils become very comfortable with segmenting words into their sounds.
- Each class level has 36 units of work, designed to fit into the school year. Each unit is based on a specific phoneme(s), and with the teacher’s help and assistance, pupils explore the grapheme(s) that can be used to represent it. Each unit is given a thorough treatment in the Teacher Guide, which guides the teacher through a Monday-Friday schedule of work.
Sounds in Focus Online has everything you need …
- Weekly lesson plans
- Teaching slideshows
- Projectable Pupil Book pages – and answers
- List and extension word segmenting tool – and answers
- 200+ downloadable copymasters per year
- Content and Diagnostic Tests with remediation
- Separate teacher and pupil login areas
A 12-month subscription is priced per pupil and provides access to Sounds in Focus Online portal and also includes:
- Pupil Books
- Teacher Guide
- Support Material including Teaching Charts, Pupil Glance Cards and My Book of Words and Sounds
Call 020 3773 9620 to find out more or sign-up for a free trial here.
Each print component of Sounds in Focus is also available to purchase separately.